The Ellsworth community is in desperate need for a multi-purpose community center that would provide services for kids and families in the greater Ellsworth area. In an effort to establish a site, a group of concerned individuals are dedicated to developing this community center.
1) A safe space available for kids in grades 6-12. The age appropriate groups would be grades 6-8 and 9-12. This center would be a supervised place for these kids to belong and offer a healthy recreational as well as learning environment.
2) Open times during the day for active older adults. The AOA program would be developed with intergenerational events established.
3) A local site for a variety of other agencies to use for established programs. (i.e. big brothers/big sisters, open door (Hancock County drug awareness program), Camp Kieve etc.).
4) A coordinated facility and program schedule, in conjunction with the Down East Family YMCA, that would provide a comprehensive plan to address the needs/wants of kids and families. (i.e. on Friday nights the YMCA would be open for kids in grades 6-8 with use of the pool, gym and rec. areas while grades 9-12 would use the community center).
5) Provide time for families to participate in activities as a family. (i.e. Sunday afternoons).