Activities and programs would be developed in conjunction with the directives of the advisory group. The emphasis will be on collaborative efforts to maximize the opportunities and resources that are available in our communities. The center would be designed to provide a place for kids and teens to belong and would include:
1) An extensive recreation area with pool tables, ping pong, foosball and a variety of video games to entice kids and teens to come to the center. It would be a cool place to “hang out”.
2) A lounge area with couches, big screen TV and a concession stand. This area would be a great place for kids, staff and volunteers to relate in a relaxed atmosphere.
3) A computer/study area where homework/school projects could be done. The YMCA will donate five computers.
4) The development of a mentoring program.
5) Collaboration with the DARE program.
6) Family times organized within the schedule to encourage families to play together.
7) Implementation of a career development program
that focuses on employment strategies such as: portfolio, resume building,
interview skills and preparation.